Service und Navigation
Telefon +41 71 224 51 21
The abbey, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
The abbey of St.Gallen was a focal point of Western academia, a place of culture and a site of far-reaching appeal. Many of the works produced in St.Gallen, whether manuscripts or records, survived the abolition of the abbey in 1805 and remain in existence to this day.
The former abbey church of Saint Gallus and Saint Otmar and the world-famous baroque hall of the abbey library are some of the most significant architectural creations of the European rococo. This architectural richness, combined with the extensive collection of original writings, make the abbey of St.Gallen an exceptional piece of cultural heritage, which has been recognised as such by UNESCO since 1983.
The present abbey church was completed in 1766, following a 10-year construction period, and the renowned architect Johann Caspar Bagnato was involved in the planning. Following the abolition of the abbey, the church became a cathedral in 1824. The interior of the building was renovated from 1961 to 1967, followed by the exterior from 2000 to 2003.
The hall of the abbey library is considered to be one of the most spectacular examples of a baroque library in the Lake Constance region, and was built in 1758 and 1759 according to plans drawn by the architects Peter (father) and Peter Franz Xaver Thumb (son). Around 120,000 visitors come to admire the exhibitions in the abbey library every year, making it one of Switzerland’s most visited museums.
City of St.Gallen
Telefon +41 71 224 42 42